For lighthouse fans, Dongyong Lighthouse (i.e. Dongyin Island Lighthouse) and Dongquan Lighthouse (i.e. Dongju Island Lighthouse) are not to be missed.
Dongyong Lighthouse stands beside a steep cliff and faces the East Sea. Its white exterior and the deep blue ocean make a beautiful contrast. The 13-meter lighthouse is the only British-style architecture found in the Matsu Islands. It is also the northernmost historic site in the Taimin Region.
Two-day itinerary by Taima Ship：
Day 1： Keelung→ Dongyin (Zhongzhu Port) → Visitor Center → Yanxiu Tidal Echo → Dongyong Lighthouse → Suicide Cliff → A Thread of Sky → Stronghold 33
Day 2：Dongyin (Zhongzhu Port)→Keelung
Three-day itinerary by Uni Air：
Day 1：Arrival in Nangan → Various scenic spots in Nangan
Day 2：Nangan (Fuao Port) → Dongyin (Zhongzhu Port) → Visitor Center → Yanxiu Tidal Echo → ongyong Lighthouse → Suicide Cliff → A Thread of Sky → Stronghold 33
Day 3：Dongyin (Zhongzhu Port)→Nangan (Fuao Port)→Departure from Nangan
How to travel between Dongyin and Nangan
- From Fuao Port, Nangan, take Taima Ship to Zhongzhu Port in Dongyin.
- From Nangan to Dongyin: There are two kinds of Taima Ship, one directly going to Dongyin and the other stopping at Matsu. Both are good. Purchase a ticket at Fuao Port between 7:00 and 8:30. Board the ship between 8:30 and 9:20. The ship will take off at 9:30 and arrive in Zhongzhu by 11:30. 。
- From Dongyin to Nangan: There are two kinds of Taima Ship, one directly going to Dongyin and the other stopping at Matsu. Both are good. Purchase a ticket one day prior to departure between 14:00 and 17:00 at Lao Yue Hotel. Boarding counter closes at 18:00.。
- For the exact schedule, please visit the Taima Ship website (in Chinese) at: http://www.shinhwa.com.tw/. Schedule for direct ships may change; please check Taima’s updates. Full fare is NT$350 and discount fare is NT$175.
- Taima Ship office numbers: 02-24246868 (Keelung), 0836-26655 (Nangan), 0836-77555 (Dongyin). Also, phone number for Lianjiang Maritime Company is 0836-25312.
Dongquan Lighthouse is the first of its kind in Taiwan that’s built with granite. It is 19.5 meters tall and a Grade II national historic site.
Three-day itinerary by Taima Ship：
Day 1： Keelung (board a ship here in the night) → Nangan (Fuao Port) → Nangan Visitor Center → eihai Tunnel in Nangan → Dongquan Lighthouse in Dongju via the sea from Nangan
Day 2： Fuzheng Beach → Dongyang Mountain → Dapu Inscription and Dapu Village → Boat trip to Fuao Port in Nangan
Day 3：Nangan (Departure from Fuao Port at 9:30) → Keelung (Arrival at Keelung Port by 19:00)
Three-day itinerary by Uni Air：
Day 1： Arrival in Nangan → Various scenic spots in Nangan
Day 2： Nangan (Fuao Port) → Dongju (Meng'ao Harbor) → Visitor Center → Dongyang Mountain → Dongquan Lighthouse → Dapu Inscription and Dapu Village
Day 3： Southern Dongju (Meng'ao Harbor) → Nangan (Fuao Port) → Departure from Nangan
How to travel between Dongju and Nangan：“Star of Matsu” departs at 7:00, 11:00 and 14:30 daily.
- On months of odd numbers, the ship stops at Xiju first. The ship departs from Fuao Port; 50 minutes later, it arrives at Xiju. From there, the ship departs again and arrives at Dongju in 10 minutes. For the trip from Dongju back to Fuao, it takes another 50 minutes.
On months of even numbers, the ship stops at Dongju first. The ship departs from Fuao Port; 50 minutes later, it arrives at Dongju. From there, the ship departs again and arrives at Xiju in 10 minutes. For the trip from Xiju back to Fuao, it takes another 50 minutes.
That is, a trip from Fuao Port to either Dongju or Xiju is 50 minutes. A trip from Dongju to Xiju or the other way round is 10 minutes.
- From Juguang to Nangan: All ships departing from Juguang are 50 minutes later than the ones from Nangan. To take the first ship of the day, purchase a ticket at Dongju or Xiju wharf counters before 8:20. To take the last ship of the day, purchase a ticket at the same counters before 15:10.。
- For the exact schedule, call the Jixing Maritime Corporation at 0836-23120. Full fare is NT$200 and discount fare is NT$100.
To help promote lighthouse tourism, the Marine and Port Bureau, Ministry of Transport and Communications recently released the daily lighthouse operation schedules at the Dongyin and Dongju Islands.
Last updated: 2017/02/14 08:58