Take a taxi to Andong Tunnel. Enter at a tunnel opening where you see a camouflaged outer wall, and proceed down the 30 degree slope for approximately 300 meters long. Along the road are numerous smaller tunnels, all heading towards the ocean. Outside the opening at the bottom of the tunnel is a large platform overlooking the ocean, surrounded by “drowned valley” terrain where large numbers of terns nest and mate on the rocky cliffs. Here terns can be viewed without binoculars, making it is a favorite spot of bird lowers.
- Take the Taiwan-Matsu Ferry from Keelung West Wharf No. 2 to Matsu’s Dongyin Township (duration approximately 10 hours).
- Take Uni Air Flight #1 to Matsu Nangan Airport, then travel by taxi to Fu-ao Wharf to take the Taiwan-Matsu Ferry to Dongyin.
- The cost of a one-way Taiwan-Matsu Ferry ticket from Keelung to Dongyin is NT $1,050.
- The cost of a one-way Taiwan-Matsu Ferry ticket from Nangan to Dongyin is NT $350.
- May to August is the best time of year to visit the terns. Shouting and other loud noises will scare the terns away, so bird watchers should remember to speak softly. Be prepared for the walk back; ascending the slope is tiring, but the sights inside and outside the tunnel are more than worth the effort.
- Travel Reminder: The Taiwan-Matsu Ferry may suspend operation or alter its schedule due to the season or weather. Please confirm prior to departure.
- Dongyin Laoye Hotel